Animal Control

Animal Control



Dog control issues in the Village of Rouses Point falls under the Town of Champlain's Dog Control Officer,  Jody Perrea.  He is also the dog control officer for the Towns of Chazy and Beekmantown.  Jody can be reached at  518-314-9867.  For more information on the Dog Control Officer please visit the Town of Champlain's website.   


New York State Law requires all dogs over the age of 4 months must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed within the municipality in which the dog is sheltered.  Dog licenses for the Village of Rouses Point residents are issued by Julie Castine, Town Clerk.  Her office is located at the Town of Champlain, 729 Route 9, Champlain, NY.  Proof of rabies vaccination and whether the dog is spayed/neutered or condition of the dog are required. For more information on dog licenses please contact Julie Castine at 518-298-8160 or online at


Rabies is a deadly viral disease that affects the central nervous system in mammals and is always fatal if left untreated. It is almost always transmitted through saliva when an infected animal bites an animal or person. Wildlife accounts for over 90 percent of all reported rabies cases each year in the United States. Raccoons, bats, skunks are responsible for most reported cases, but foxes, coyotes and other smaller mammals may also transmit the disease. The Clinton County Health Department advises that the residents should take the following steps to protect themselves and their pets against rabies:

  • Use caution around all wild animals especially raccoons, skunks and foxes. Talk to children now about not approaching wildlife, and to immediately tell a parent or adult if they see a wild animal.
  • Have pets vaccinated against rabies immediately. New York State law requires that all dogs, cats, and ferrets be vaccinated against rabies by 4 months of age. Vaccination is also recommended for livestock with frequent human contact.
  • Report all animals bites to your local health department. It is very important that follow up is done on the biting animal to protect the health of the person bitten. If the biting animal is not available, the person bitten may need rabies vaccinations to prevent the disease.
  • Report all contact with bats, including finding a bat in the same room with a sleeping person, to your local health department.
  • Spaying and neutering your pets decrease undesirable behavior, like aggression and roaming and reduces the number of unwanted animals theta may not property cared for or regularly vaccinated.
  • Secure all garbage containers that will prevent access by wild animals.
  • Do not feed wildlife or stray animals and discourage them from seeking food near your home. Feed pets indoors, leaving food outside will attract strays or wildlife.
  • To prevent the spread of rabies, no one should transport or relocate trapped wild animals.
  • Puppies, kittens and other small pets should not be left outside alone (even in fenced area).
  • If your pet fights with a wild animal, put gloves on before you handle your pet. Call your veterinarian or the local Health Department for advice.
  • If an unvaccinated pet comes in contact with a rabid or suspected animal, the pet must be quarantined for six months or euthanized.
  • Vaccinated pets that come in contact with a rabid or suspected rabid animal must be given a booster rabies vaccination within five days of contact.
For more information on rabies, contact the Clinton County Health Department at 518-565-4870 or online at  


Ben Baker is the local Wildlife Services specialist with the USDA representing Clinton, Essex and Franklin Counties.  If you see a live rabies vector animal (racoons, skunks and foxes) with erratic behavior call Ben at 315-530-0512.  He has special equipment to assist in catching or removing the animal whether alive or deceased.  More information is available at the USDA website at


View/Pay Bills

Learn More